Preventing it from happening is the most essential place to start. Taking correct safety precautions will reduce your likelihood of carbon monoxide poisoning in Long Island.
Here are a few steps you can take to protect your family:
- Idle your car outside your garage. Cars are a significant source of carbon monoxide poisoning, so don’t leave yours on in the confined space of a garage. The same is true for gas equipment such as lawn mowers or snowmobiles.
- Don’t run ovens or grills as heaters. These items are safe when used right but can produce carbon monoxide when used for an extended period of time in little spaces.
- Don’t operate a gas generator indoors, because it produces fumes.
- Have your chimney examined by a professional. This confirms chimneys and vents aren’t clogged and connected appropriately.
- Confirm gas appliances are working correctly, including your furnace. You can ensure efficient, safe comfort by booking regular furnace maintenance with Matz-Rightway.