When bad weather comes around, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot that comes with it. Staying safe and protecting your home are your greatest priorities, but did you know there are steps you can take to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm passes, your AC repair technician will give you the all-clear?
Taking even a small bit of time to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm hits can help you prevent damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you arrange for an AC repair technician to check your system post-storm, they can likely provide you with good news that your prep paid off.
At Matz-Rightway, we know that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for threatening weather, and time likely will not give you much notice, so we’ve put together a list of what you can do before and after a severe weather event happens.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are commonplace during severe weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to know for sure it is fully off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover can keep away any debris that gets tossed around during bad weather. Just ensure you have turned the system totally off prior to covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Make sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are stored in a protected place so that they don’t get strewn about during the severe weather event.
- Clear the debris. Once it is alright to head out of your home, make sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you notice any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Matz-Rightway prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly inspect your system and figure out whether or not an AC repair is needed.
Of course we all hope that severe weather doesn’t hit us in Long Island, but we have to be prepped if we want the best chance to avoid any major damage or other concerns that may come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prep for bad weather in Long Island or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has passed, give us a call at 631-406-9220 or schedule an appointment with Matz-Rightway through our online scheduler.