Why Is My Air Conditioner Making A Noise?
Hearing strange noises when your air conditioner is working? There’s probably something wrong with your system. If you don’t pay attention to it, it could lead to major—and expensive—troubles down the road. We’re going to help you find out what’s happening with your air conditioner and what you can do to fix it.
8 Common Air Conditioning Noises
- Gurgling – Gurgling normally indicates a problem with your refrigerant line. If you can’t pinpoint where the noise is emanating from, that’s alright. A technician can help verify where this noise is occurring.
- Crackling – Crackling could come from debris in the unit or aging ductwork. Debris in the outdoor unit will cause a noise outside your house. Aging ductwork can produce noise inside your house.
- Hissing – Hissing sounds coming from your AC can be created by a leaky refrigerant line, an internal valve leak or the compressor.
- Buzzing – Buzzing is likely an electrical issue.
- Clicking – Clicking can mean you have a loose part or that the fan is misaligned.
- Pulsating – Pulsating can be caused by a loose part.
- Loud Noise – A noticeable noise from your outside unit can signal an issue with your compressor, damper, fan or air handler.
- Humming – Humming can arise from fan motor issues or a damaged relay switch. Check out our humming noise guide for more information.
You can find further information about common air conditioning troubles on energy.gov
Should I keep using my AC when it’s making a noise?
There are a few cases where you can continue to run your AC, but you do so at your own risk. It’s almost impossible to answer this question without looking at your system.
Usually, we recommend shutting off the unit off and calling a professional.
When should I do something about the noise?
We recommend calling a professional as soon as you suspect there’s an issue with your air conditioner. While AC repairs can be stressful and an unexpected spend, it’s smart to get problems taken care of right away. Getting a professional could help lower future expenses and keep your system running longer.
Not sure if your air conditioner is making any of these noises? Please schedule online for a free, in-home consultation.
How to Pick Out an Effective HVAC System
When it comes to keeping your home comfortable all year, nothing is more important than selecting the right heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system. This determination impacts your daily comfort, monthly utility bills and general home efficiency. However, with so many system types,... Continue reading
Annual HVAC Maintenance Guidelines
As soon as the air turns chilly, you know it’s time to prepare your home for the cooler months ahead. Your heating system is key to maintaining a cozy, warm setting. A well-maintained furnace delivers the comfort you crave while using less energy. Scheduled inspections also make your system less... Continue reading
Heating and Cooling Trends in 2024
In the continuously changing world of home comfort technologies, keeping up with the current HVAC trends is crucial for homeowners seeking to enhance their home’s comfort and efficiency. Looking into 2024, the HVAC industry continues to innovate, bringing brand-new technologies and trends... Continue reading