Your air conditioner’s purpose is keeping the air in your home cool, which means that any time you allow heat back in your home, you’re making the air conditioner work harder than it should have to. While the air conditioner is your main source for cooler air, there are a few things you can do, outside of air conditioner service, to help keep the Long Island heat out and help your air conditioner last through the rest of the summer.
Here are some tips from Matz-Rightway to help keep hot air outdoors:
- Block out the sun. A great deal of heat makes its way into your home through your windows. Keep it out by utilizing solar screens, tinted windows and blackout curtains. At the very least, install blinds and keep them closed.
- Seal air leaks. The spaces in your home that are air conditioned should be as air-tight as possible. Inspect your crawlspace, basement or attic for major air holes like these in the building envelope. We can do a high-tech comfort performance assessment for you to identify leaks in walls, ceilings and ducts.
- Check for leaky doors and windows. Inspect your windows and doors and add or replace caulk or weather-stripping that might be torn or showing signs of wear.
- Try no-cook or served-cold meals. Your stove and oven generate a lot of heat in your home. Try some no-cook meals and use your microwave versus your stove or oven.
- Run the dishwasher and dryer at night. Save any household activities that may generate heat for evenings after the temperature outside cools off. You can also let your dishes and clothes air dry and give those appliances the night off.
- Provide window coverage outside the home. Awnings over windows and doors can help protect from the sun’s direct heat. Trees can also give you shade and deflect some of the heat.
- Get a free air conditioner consultation. The greatest impact on heat is a new air conditioning system evaluation. After finding out about new air conditioner systems, technology and options, the greatest option could simply be an air conditioner upgrade.
If you don’t feel like your home is keeping cool temperatures despite following the tips we noted, it could mean that you need air conditioner service or repair. Air conditioner maintenance is one of the best ways to make sure your equipment is running properly and that you are getting peak efficiency and results. Don’t stay uncomfortable longer than you have to. Give Matz-Rightway in Long Island or set up an appointment online to have an expert check out your air conditioner and make sure it’s operating properly.